[Gllug] First Debian install - a little help needed!

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Mon Jan 26 10:54:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:57:33AM +0000, FORSTER, David wrote:
> > for the proprietry nvidia install you do need a 2.4.x kernel afaik.
> >
> > it is a very good driver imo, nice and fast. i only wish
> > there were some cool
> > userspace utils to control stuff like anti aliasing and
> > antrisotropic filtering
> > and stereo.
> >
> > you might want to just run 'X' and go and examine the log file in
> > /var/log/
> >
> > i often forget to install fonts when first setting up debian :-)
> >
> > Ian
>
> Thanks Ian,
>
> I reinstalled on the laptop with bf2.4 on Saturday and everything seems OK.
> I haven't got ALSA working on it though so no sound, it works on other
> Distros though so I'm going to find myself a HOWTO today. Still using a
> Knoppix hdinstall on the main PC for the moment as it's doing everything I
> need and I want to get the laptop sorted before moving on.
>
> Bought "Running Linux" from O'Reilly on Friday evening and spent most of the
> weekend reading that... I can highly recommend it for someone like me who
> knows a lot about the Microsoft world but is struggling to convert to Linux.

The biggest thing with linux is getting comfortable with configuring it, making
it your ~home if you will,

knoppix, debian, redhat etc should all be able to handle your laptop's hardware
save for some obscure things like TV out etc.

you just need to percevere with learning to configure it :-), i find with
debian it is easier to get it bootable and then compile a new kernel from
kernel.org, that tends to let me get stuff like sound and usb sorted well.

go on, take the jump and compile a kernel :-)

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk