[Gllug] NFS mount permissions

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Jan 30 17:53:41 UTC 2004

On Friday 30 January 2004 13:20 pm, Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> I'm trying to mount an nfs share so that a local user on "popcorn"
> can have access to "his" remote home directory (on "lisa"), but I
> can't get the permissions right.
>
> /etc/exports is
> /   popcorn(rw)

It's not wise to export the whole root fs like this - all sorts of
things can go wrong. If it's only the home directory you want to use on
the other machine then try:

/home/<user> popcorn(rw,no_all_squash)

The no_all_squash option ensures the UID and GID of the user are applied
rather than mapped to 'nobody'.

> and I mount it with
> mount lisa: /mnt/lisa

That should be

mount -t nfs lisa:/ /mnt/lisa

or in my example:

mount -t nfs lisa:/home/<user> /mnt/lisa

> As root on popcorn I can see the contents of / but no subdirs. As
> another user I can't see a thing.

The nfs only exports one fs at a time, so if you have (e.g.) /home on a
separate partition to / then it will appear empty.

Dylan

> Help much appreciated!
> TSW

>* We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage
> sustained as a result of software viruses. It is your
> responsibility to carry out such virus checking as is necessary
> before opening any attachment to this message.
>
> The information in this email and any files transmitted with
> it may be of a confidential nature and is intended solely for
> the addressees. If you are not the intended addressee, any
> disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and
> may be unlawful.
>
> www.ofsted.gov.uk
>*

                                  -Benjamin Franklin