[Gllug] Which graphics card?

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Thu Jan 29 16:29:11 UTC 2004

Any recommendations on a modern graphics card for Linux? I will
not support, out of principle, any card which doesn't have full
programming information available, and I won't use binary only
drivers. There have always been cards that I've avoided for this
reason (ever since Diamond did it years ago), but now it seems that
the choice is becoming very limited.

Nvidia cards are obviously ruled out. But recent ATI cards also seem
to fall foul of this, and even the Matrox Parhelia apparently doesn't
work properly without a binary driver. So which modern card can I get
that'll work well with XFree86 for both 2D and 3D using only free
software drivers? I'm looking at 3D Labs, but they're quite pricey...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk