[Gllug] Speaker Suggestion

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Jan 8 16:32:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 04:26:10PM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Richard Jones writes:
>
> >I wasn't denying that C, Lisp and Forth are all Turing complete, and
> >therefore have equal "power".  However you know as well as I do that
> >it's a lot easier to use garbage collection in Lisp than it is in C.
>
> True. But you still haven't explained why you singled out Forth as being
> potentially not a subset of Lisp...

Sorry, I didn't mean to do that.

I meant to just suggest that it might not be a subset of Lisp.  (I'm
using subset here to mean language features, of course).

The reason is just that Forth is so bloody strange (apologies to any
Forth programmers in the room).  And this comes from someone who's
written quite a bit of Postscript directly.  I've never really
understood the IMMEDIATE directive in Forth ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
MOD_CAML lets you run type-safe Objective CAML programs inside the Apache
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk