[Gllug] Can I get this to work?

Simon Morris simon.morris at westbourne-terrace.com
Sat Jan 17 16:22:32 UTC 2004

-----BEGIN QUOTE-----
Can I run my homebox as multiuser in this way though?

Adrian
-----END QUOTE-----

>From what I've used of the standard VNC server (vs the http server version)
yes.

Each user runs the vncserver command (asks for a password first time) and
the server listens on TCP port 5801, the next user would grab 5802.

You can determine the port using the command vncserver :1 for the first
port.

By default you just get a grey X window, can you edit the files in ~/.vnc
to launch xterms, gnome-sessions etc.

I use it to run a full Gnome desktop. Again I refer to the standard
vncserver, I'm guessing the other is much the same

SM
(Apologies for my retarded quoting style - do you know how effort is
required to quote mailing lists on a blackberry???)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk