[Gllug] new guy with ADSL question

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 10:46:36 UTC 2004

On Thursday 08 Jan 2004 10:18 am, Tethys wrote:

> Perhaps, but for those that have been around the UK Internet scene since
> the early days, Demon == not what it once was.
>
> Tet

Sadly I agree :-(
I take Demon via pop from my cable connection. Over the last two years the
service has declined.
We had the spell mid last year when it took them three weeks to recover from
too much mail on their servers.
Their email from outside UK is terrible. I get mail forwarded from German to
two accounts, because of the delays at Demon. It is usually the punt-1 server
that causes the problems, but it normally adds at least an hour on to
messages. If you get routed via punt-3 it takes just seconds.
All complaints just get a standard email saying that they will investigate.
Never any followup.

Also the status page is only ever filled up with planned downtime.
http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/status/status2.shtml
Any sudden problems is just down to their ansaphone message.
Recommed a few years ago, but not today :-(

Never a problem with billing though. They did forgot to bill me at one point
when they changed over their accounting software for nine months. They then
wrote to say they wanted it all or they would trash my mail. But usually they
are very nice and helpful.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk