[Gllug] Perhaps Newham needs a decent Linux consultant?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Sat Jan 10 12:39:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Mamading Ceesay wrote:

> Not a bad idea, except that the Ximian Connector only supports Exchange
> 2000 and 2003, not 5.5!

How much life (in support terms) is left in Exchange 5.5?

I've heard that migrating up to 2K is a nightmare and can take months to
do.

> The thing is that you can connect to Exchange using IMAP and LDAP,
> which opens up a lot of possibilities on the Linux client front.
> However the more heavily that Exchange-specific features are used (e.g
> calendaring), the more difficult it is to find a workable solution.
> Should be solvable though.

This is still an area that really needs to be properly addressed by a Free
Software solution.

I know that SuSE have a product however it contains proprietary elements
so it's not really an answer to this.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk