[Gllug] Two Queries

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sat Jul 3 23:03:30 UTC 2004

On Saturday 03 Jul 2004 23:25 pm, Christopher Currie wrote:
> Neither O/T, I hope, but not related to recent discussions:
>
> 1. Is there anything in/for Linux that performs the equivalent
> function to AdAware for Windows (getting rid of unwanted cookies,
> data miners etc.)?

It depends how you want to implement it...

The squid http proxy server can do ad blocking, and both Konqueror and
Firefox have relevant capabilities (blocking popups, or not loading
images from 3rd party servers, for example.)

Both those browsers also have quite good cookie management features -
firefox can be set to query every cookie, for example, and you can
allow or deny it either for the session or permanently...

I don't think data mining programs are as much of a concern as they are
in Windows. The vast majority which are separate apps are windows
specific so will not run.

Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"