[Gllug] Re: Two Queries (Gllug Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9)

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 4 22:36:33 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 22:44, Christopher Currie wrote:

> I've already got cookie management & popup suppression set on both Mozilla and
> Konqueror. Even so, I still get unwanted ad cookies accumulating, simply
> because many sites require cookies to be enabled and it becomes unworkable to
> answer a whole flood of cookie queries manually.
>
> So something that I can run regularly to get rid of the resulting junk &
> spyware, whatever browser had pulled it, rather than having to do
> cookie-cleaning manually for each browser at intervals, would be convienient
> and add to peace of mind.

I'm not aware of any software to do that (though that doesn't mean there
isn't any). However, the cookies.txt is a simple text file - it should
be fairly easy to spend a while with the Moz Cookie manager paring it
down to the cookies you actually want to keep, and them make a copy
somewhere, say ~/.mozilla/goodcookies.txt. Then you just have a cron job
that runs every 15 minutes or so, and if Mozilla isn't currently
running, trashes the cookie file and replaces it with your pre-stored
one. If you want to add more cookies, you just check over the
cookies.txt at the end of your browsing session, and export the friendly
ones into your goodcookies file. There'll be sufficiently few cookies
you actually want to make this a relatively manageable task. Crude, but
should be effective...

HTH,

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk