[Gllug] One step forward - 2 steps back

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jul 20 11:13:19 UTC 2004

Ha!

Recommended to use OProfile by a couple of people the simplest thing
seemed to be to upgrade my Sarge workstation to the pre-built 2.6.6
kernel because that includes the necessary kernel support.

The kernel package installed without problem but I have one oddity.  By
default the "mousedev" module is not loaded at boot so X won't start.  A
simple "modprobe mousedev" gets things going but I'm very puzzled about
what component should be loading it and isn't.

This workstation has been steadily upgraded Potato=>Woody=>Sarge.  I
have another clean Sarge workstation (installed yesterday) with the same
2.6 kernel and on that one the mousedev module is loaded during boot,
but I can't find what is causing it to load.  It isn't mentioned in the
modules files under /etc.

Anyone know what should cause mousedev to be loaded?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk