[Gllug] FW: Windows share using SMB doesn't write

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Mon Jul 5 10:07:37 UTC 2004

-----BEGIN QUOTE-----

I have XP Pro, do you know why I can write as root though and not as anyone
else? I'd like to have my normal user use the share properly.

Cheers
-----END QUOTE-----

Hello,

The root only problem is with the way you are mounting the volume, nothing
to do with the “server” side (windows)

Try mounting the volume with this command as root

mount -t smbfs -o
username=username/DOMAIN,password=foobar,fmask=777,dmask=777
//machinename/sharename /path/to/mount

The fmask and dmask values should allow non-root users to write to the
share

You said this is a home PC so the /DOMAIN part may not be needed.

HTH

SM
(Apologies for the retarded quoting style)