[Gllug] Advice on backup options

James Goldwater james at eccehomo.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 14:46:53 UTC 2004

Not really an answer to your question, but I've adapted Mike Rubel's
rsync snapshot scripts for my not-very-intense backup needs
(http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/)

I backup my servers to a backup server (very underpowerered debian woody
machine, big h/d), and hold at least 10 days worth of snapshots taken
every few hours, and weekly/monthlies as well. The nature of the script
means that although it is effectively an  incremental backup in terms of
bandwith and h/d space, if you re-share your snapshots (say, over smb or
nfs) each snapshot looks complete and whole, making restore an absolute
breeze (just organise the directories:  Machine X -> Tuesday 0400am
snapshot -> MyDocuments / OtherBlahDirectory etc).   I also re-export a
snapshot over to a remote machine every night to which I have access,
using essentially the same scripts.

The only expense is of a biggish h/d, and something like a PII to put it
in.

Of course, you're concerned with offsite as well, and might not have
access to someone else's server.  I've often considered building
something to burn the incrementals to a DVD-R, but haven't got round to
it.  You should be able to script that up (he says, not knowing how to
do it!)... That however would probably blow the budget, although
DVD-writers are getting cheaper these days.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk