[Gllug] Ceefax/Teletext caching TVs

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 11:06:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:45:31AM +0100, Alistair Mann wrote:
> From a recent Viz, the 'Skinternet' is what poor people have instead of the
> Internet, that is, Ceefax/Teletext.
>
> Does anyone know of a TV set that caches the pages of these services? Or is
> software for handling same on a linux machine with a TV card?

My grandad had a Sony TV which cached a small number of pages, and I
think most TV's at least cache the last page you were on for a while
(exit teletext, go back in and enter the page number - usually pops up
instantly).

I think the Sony one cached the pages referenced by the four fasttext
links at the bottom (the coloured ones) so that they lived up to their
name.

Never seen a TV which does more, but alevt is quite good in Linux.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk