[Gllug] Locating Subdirectories

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Jul 27 12:43:53 UTC 2004

Mick Farmer wrote:
> I need to obtain the names of all the subdirectories in the
> current directory.  I'm currently using the following.
>
> 	find * -type d -maxdepth 0
>
> Does anyone have anything simpler?

These days I tend to use python rather then shell for most things where
I would once have used shell, just because it's so much cleaner when
your tiny script inevitably grows to take over the known universe.

In python your statement would be:

     [ x for x in os.listdir('.') if os.path.isdir(x) ]

Which i reckon is neater than anything in any shell :)

doug.

--
   http://adju.st/   | "If you want to know about governments,
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD |  all you have to know is two words:

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk