[Gllug] Puzzled by dpkg-reconfigure on Sarge (configuring X)

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Jul 29 19:30:27 UTC 2004

Wanting to re-configure X on my new (diskless) Sarge box I invoked:

    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Up came the dialogue boxes with the options which I'd chosen during
installation.  I changed what I wanted (specifically "vesa" to
"trident", pc104 to pc105 and us to gb) and saved it all.  However, when
I examined the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 it was completely unchanged.  All
the old settings were still there and when I restarted X it continued
using the old settings.

I invoked dpkg-reconfigure again and it came up with the new settings
which I'd entered, so it had obviously saved them *somewhere* - just not
in the right place.

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk