[Gllug] Two Queries

anth ajchapman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 15:09:26 UTC 2004

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 23:25:26 +0100 +0100, Christopher Currie
<chris at bloxwich.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Neither O/T, I hope, but not related to recent discussions:

I wouldn't worry too much about whether something is on topic - those
who are most likely to object are skilled in the use of email filters.

> 1. Is there anything in/for Linux that performs the equivalent function
> to AdAware for Windows (getting rid of unwanted cookies, data miners etc.)?

Software getting installed without the users knowledge is considered a
security flaw rather than a feature that increases ease of use, so
there isn't a need to get rid of such things. I don't know what
browser you're using, but if you take a look through its menus you'll
probably find a decent cookie manager. Telling the browser not to load
unrequested popups, and to put requested popups in a new tab instead
of a new window makes the web a much nicer place to visit. Most of the
browsers I've used recently let you block images from a server by
using the right click menu.

If that isn't enough for you grab a css file that will make mozilla
block most ads
http://dion.swamp.dk/filters.html
...or set up a proxy that will filter out the nasty stuff before it
reaches your browser
http://www.privoxy.org/

It probably goes without saying, but mail readers that load external
images or run javascript are very very Wrong.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk