[Gllug] Getting Linux to work with Freeserve (Wanadoo) Broadband

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 04:51:20 UTC 2004

Doug Winter wrote:

>On Mon 05 Jul Bruce Richardson wrote:
>

>>On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:21:37AM +0100, Pete wrote:
>>

>>>Fair call, but I reckon there's a real potential for a human-readable markup
>>>languages.
>>>

>>Humans can read XML.  I suspect that most people would find
>>

>They have horrible trouble writing it though.  And it's amazingly prolix
>and irritating.
>
>doug.

    While the theory is good the practice is something else. hence why
html has drifted from is original well formed standard. XML would be
fine if it did not put so many rules round it and require every one to
follow them complexly. The good for computers not so good for humans.
Humans are no good at writing in languages with loads of padding, Just
look at all the extra stuff in Jabber and you will start to understand,
its the doc types that do not help! I mean this document says absolutely
nothing an yet it has about 60 chars of padding!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE html
     PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
  <head>
    <title></title>
  </head>

#