[Gllug] EPOS systems

David Irvine maillist at glasgownet.com
Mon Jul 26 12:14:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 12:57, Liam Delahunty wrote:
> Chap upstairs wants to bar code all his stock and run a EPOS system.
>
> He's a mac user but would be more than happy to try linux solutions.
> At the moment he keeps finding firms selling windows products (which
> isn't a problem really), but the database tends to be Access which I
> don't think will be good enough long term, though I probably just
> biased.
>
> Anyone had to implement one and have any recommendations.
I've not used any off-the-shelf software for this as yet, mainly for the
reasons mentioned above, and also because of existing systems which need
to be integrated, hence i've generally written my own, bar code
scanners, are fairly simple, they just present themselves either as a
usb keyboard, or have a t-piece for ps/2.  Barcode/thermal printers are
a bit more tricky, there are some which are supported, however, i've
generally had medium->bad results with these, mainly due to the lack of
time spent playing with them.

You  can get serial driven receipt printers which work fairly well, both
citizen and epsom do them, although they are not that cheap.

I've recently started to play with sql-ledger (www.sql-ledger.org) which
seems to have support for this, I use sql-ledger for my invoicing and
tax, but not for epos/stock control, but it may be something you could
consider.

A while ago, freshmeat revealed a java based epos client, which looked
like it was being developed, but it didnt seem to come to anything in
the end.

Good luck.

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk