[Gllug] Jobs Sites and Universities [slightly off-topic]

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Fri Jul 2 10:58:10 UTC 2004

In message <40E46CB5.9010204 at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk>, Ian Northeast
<ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk> writes
>Bernard Peek wrote:
>
>> The best developers I ever hired both failed their degrees.
>
>The best sysadmin I ever hired had a PhD. But in nuclear physics, not
>computer science.
>
>A good degree from a good university indicates that the candidate is
>intelligent,

Regrettably no. One of the reasons why I don't have a degree is that in
1975 at the age of 21 I had to train a bunch of new graduates. Some of
them were reasonably bright, and some weren't. The standards have
dropped a long way since then. The possession of a degree doesn't even
indicate average intelligence any more.

There's going to be an interesting clash in 2006 when the age
discrimination legislation comes into effect. As the proportion of the
UK population with degrees is age-related any mature candidate rejected
for a job because they don't have a degree will be able to prosecute.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk