[Gllug] Kmail

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 18:51:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 21:01, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> I've now imported several old 'mbox' email files and I remember hearing from
> somebody that 'mh' was a better format than mbox. So my question is, which of
> the two is better and why please?

It depends.....

In general however, I wouldn't worry about it until you get round to
building a dedicated mail server. Which format is better is heavily
affected by the filesystem used as well. Many mail storage formats
(maildir, cyrus, mh) use one file per message, and directories with
several tens of thousands of files behave very badly on some
filesystems. Ext2 slows down a lot. You'll also find that not all mail
clients understand all formats, so you're limited there. I tend to think
mbox is most universal and convenient for local mail, and for anything
halfway serious, I use Cyrus, and get at the mail with IMAP.

> If I did use a 'mh' format would it still
> retain one file instead of lots of little mboxs like sylpheed-claws did?

No - mh is a one file per message format.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk