[Gllug] EUCD: It begins, mod chips illegal

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Thu Jul 22 19:28:55 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 Jul 2004 20:07 pm, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 13:05, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/21/ps2_mod_chip_win/
> >
> > This means PSII mod chips are illegal, so users are not entitled to
> > make and use backup copies of games they have legitimately
> > purchased, nor play games imported from other markets.
>
> My reading of the article is that declaring the modchip illegal says
> nothing as regards the legality of backups, or imports. It may of
> course make them practical impossibilities... As far as backup copies
> go, the argument used to justify them has always been "fair use". I
> think you'll find that the US copyright system has the concept of
> "fair use" rights, but the UK Copyright act does not, and as such I
> believe that backup copies are technically illegal anyway, EUCD or
> not.

W have always had the defense of 'fair dealings' which is the same as
your 'fair use' and I would sincerely hope a court would uphold fair
dealing if it came to it - at the very least I would expect the Lords
to uphold it. Perhaps that is a vain hope, but still...

> > How long before this ends up applying to X box modding to run Linux
>
> The *only* difference I can see between Xbox modchips and PS2
> modchips is that you can run Linux on the Xbox, which doesn't involve
> use of copyrighted material in an unsanctioned way.

Er, you can run Linux on a PS2 sanctioned by Sony...

Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"
                                  -Dark Helmet