[Gllug] ADSL modem -- WTF?

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 23:09:58 UTC 2004

On Thursday 15 Jul 2004 2:46 pm, neilcuk at aol.com wrote:

> As would I. But a word of caution - don't try replacing the master box
> without the right tools. I have no idea what it's called, but there is a
> device that makes sure the wires sit into the terminals correctly - it sort
> of snaps them into place. I tried replacing mine with naught but a
> screwdriver and was without a connection for a while :-(

The implement you're describing is called an "IDE inserter" tool, or more 
commonly a "Krone" tool (Krone were the makers of the first IDE terminal bars 
used in telephony".  You can buy the pukka item for £10 - 20 (it inserts and 
snips the excess off for you) from CPC or RS or whoever.  There are also 
cheap throwaway ones, sold by Maplin, some DIY shops and so on for about 50p.  
If you're not intending to make lots of phone connections, a cheap plastic 
one will do (use them three or four times and they're knackered).


Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk

More information about the GLLUG mailing list