[Gllug] Jobs Sites and Universities [slightly off-topic]

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 15:38:36 UTC 2004

On Fri 02 Jul, Bernard Peek wrote:

> Regrettably no. One of the reasons why I don't have a degree is that in
> 1975 at the age of 21 I had to train a bunch of new graduates. Some of
> them were reasonably bright, and some weren't. The standards have
> dropped a long way since then. The possession of a degree doesn't even
> indicate average intelligence any more.

   Many years ago I went to Leicester to do Special Physics. I shared a room
in a Hall of Residence with someone else from the same course. I have the
kind of brain which has great difficulty remembering precise facts such as
physical constants and conversion factors but is better at understanding
concepts, my room mate was able to learn the book word perfect but claimed
not to understand anything. I had covered virtually all the course work
about 3 times at school and had to explain things to my room mate.
   At the end of the first year the pass rate was held down to about 40%
(one reason given was that the new physics building would not be finished on
time), so I was out but my room mate was told that he was the top student.
   He told me that he definitely could not stand another year, so intended
to quit.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk