[Gllug] FW: Windows share using SMB doesn't write

anth ajchapman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 15:44:57 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:02:37 +0100 , Weston, Toby (ELS)
<t.weston at elsevier.com> wrote:
> I've been able to access a Windows XP share from my Red Hat Fedora box using
> SMB, but I can't write to the Windows disk from Linux. I get something like
> "smb_open: failed error -13."

It looks like none of us have seen this error before.

There are a few things you should try:
- can you write to Windows disk from linux when logged in as root?
- does the user you're connecting as have permission to write to the
windows share? From windows explorer, right-click on the folder being
shared, go to properties->sharing->permissions.
- does the user you're connecting as have permission to write to the
windows filesystem? From windows explorer, right-click on the folder
being shared, go to properties->security.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk