[Gllug] Two Queries

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 01:13:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 00:11:52 +0100, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 11:25:26PM +0100, Christopher Currie wrote:
> > 2. Is there any evidence that ReiserFS imposes more physical wear
> > and tear on hard drives than other filesystems? Have any tests been
> > done on the comparative durability of different filesystems in this
> > respect? Are there a priori grounds for expecting the filesystem
> > design to be irrelevant? (It was relevant for the old floppy-based
> > OSs in the 80s, but the question reveals my ignorance of modern
> > ones).
>
> JFFS is designed to reduce "wear" on flash drives.

That's true, but JFFS (actually, we use JFFS2 nowadays) is very much
designed to reduce write wear on a solid-state memory-based storage
medium - to the extent that it's built on top of the memory device
layer rather than the block device layer.  It's not really suitable as
a general-purpose filesystem.  The paper at
http://sources.redhat.com/jffs2/jffs2-html/jffs2-html.html explains
how it all works, and IIRC David presented a very similar paper at the
UKUUG conference a couple of years back...

> http://handhelds.org/z/wiki/JFFS
>
> Rich.

Cheers
Richard