[Gllug] How to uninstall?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Jul 26 04:53:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Richard Jones moaned:
> (2) Install with a prefix directory.  For instance you could do:
>
> mkdir $HOME/myprogram
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/myprogram
> make
> make install
>
> This will install everything under $HOME/myprogram (eg. the binary
> will typically be in $HOME/myprogram/bin etc.)  You may need to adjust
> your $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately, but at least you'll be
> able to nuke the install cleanly just by doing 'rm -r $HOME/myprogram'.
>
> Also this has the advantage that you don't need to be root to install
> (note: no 'sudo' before the 'make install').

2.5) Configure without a prefix directory, and install with one:

./configure
make
make install prefix=/usr/local/packages/package-version

then use GNU stow, or Depot, or STORE, or some similar package to
make symlinks from the contents of /usr/local/packages/package-version
to corresponding points under /usr/local.

Voila: one package manager whose metadata is exactly as hard to corrupt
as your filesystem, because it *is* your filesystem.

--
`The copyright file is for everyone.  That we make it available in
 plain-text, uncompressed form rather than in spinning, throbbing

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk