[Gllug] Two Queries

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 23:19:52 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:20:23AM +0100, Doug Winter wrote:
> I get mine from OcUK:
>
> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_IDE_151.html
>
> In fact, I get loads of stuff from them.  They're very good :)

And very expensive!!

As an alternative to rounding your IDE cables (which you can do
manually, although it's not advised for the UDMA66+ cables with 80
conductors, due to their delicacy) is to square them. In the Compaq
servers at work, which are getting on a bit, they have squared the SCSI
cables.

Rather than cut between each conductor, cut between each 6 or 8 or so,
and then lie each mini-ribbon on top of each other. This will reduce the
amount of space the cable occupies (technically no, but practically yes)
and if done properly should make the cable more flexible, easier to
route and less obstructive to airflow.

Possibly less vulnerable to crosstalk, although I suppose that depends
on whether you split it with the signal lines in mind...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk