[Gllug] EUCD: It begins, mod chips illegal

Liam Delahunty liamvictor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 12:28:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:05:14 +0100, Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net> wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/21/ps2_mod_chip_win/
>
> This means PSII mod chips are illegal, so users are not entitled to
> make and use backup copies of games they have legitimately purchased,
> nor play games imported from other markets.

It's still legal (to do what you want with your property in this
instance) in Spain & Italy

"However, in Italy a judge threw out Sony's case saying it was up to
owners of a console what they did with it.

Similarly in Spain, mod chips are seen as legal despite the EU
copyright legislation. "

Personaly I hate this. I want digital copies of music I own to play at
work and because the CD medium does degrade and is fairly easily
damaged. Similarly with games and films.

--
Kind regards, Liam Delahunty
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk