[Gllug] GPS and News servers

Russell G. Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 20:33:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 06:27:19PM +0100, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> A couple of questions this evening :-)
>
> I have a news server that I am able to access from home; however I want
> to be able to access the news server remotely.  Is there any news proxy
> software or similar facility I could use?

ssh in and use slrn or equivalent?

Use ssh's port forwarding for the nntp port? (can use compression to
possibly speed things up)

I even added iptables rules for a friend to NAT her NNTP connections to
appear to be from my box (this was so she could access news servers via
a high-numbered port on my machine, as the uni blocked NNTP)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk