[Gllug] re: dual Xeon/Opteron server

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Thu Jul 29 09:13:44 UTC 2004

t.clarke wrote:
> Call me a philistine if you will, but if I were building a high performance
> dual-processor server I would want to use the latest SCSI discs and controller
> technology for both speed and reliability.
>
> Using serial ATA discs on a high spec machine, IMHO, would seem to be spoiling
> the shi[p for a ha'porth of tar !

With very cheap SATA hardware, just mirror everything and be done with
it.  Carry a couple of spares and expect failures.  Much much much
cheaper, and not really any less reliable.

A dual opteron box only sets you back a couple of grand.  It's hardly
worth the vast extra expense of SCSI just for a rather dubious increase
in reliability.

doug.

--
   http://adju.st/   | "If you want to know about governments,
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD |  all you have to know is two words:
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk