[Gllug] LP jobs owned by root, so CUPS can't cancel them.

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 12 13:52:15 UTC 2004

Hello all,

Is there any way I can force all print jobs submitted via lpr to be owned by a certain user?
At the moment, they are submitted by clients on the network and are owned by root, so no-one can cancel them with CUPS if they snarl up the printer.

The odd thing is that of the various clients on the network, only the Mac OS X ones do this. The other clients' jobs are owned by "unknown" - and we have Windows, Mac OS 9 and Linux clients too.

The server is running CUPS, so /etc/printcap is written by cupsd.

any advice gratefully received
Tom
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk