[Gllug] GPL

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Jul 21 11:46:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:06:57PM +0100, Leigh wrote:

> Having read the GNU GPL I'm a little unclear as who retains the intellectual
> property rights of a particular work? As I understand it, the original
> author can copyright their work by providing a copyright notice. If a
> recipient of that work decides to change it in any way, are they then the
> copyright holder for that version? Or are all intellectual property rights
> completely removed?
>
> Would anyone be kind enough to explain.

You don't give up copyright when you release software under the GPL, so
somebody who modified your code and re-relased it could not revoke your
copyright like that.  They could add their own, for the code that they
had added.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.