[Gllug] Free PC

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Sun Jul 4 12:15:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 11:58:21AM +0100, David Damerell wrote:
> On Monday, 28 Jun 2004, Daniel Ahrens wrote:
> >>We've already got computers in there - two in the living room, one in
> >>the spare room, one in the kitchen. That doesn't preclude one in the
> >>bedroom for those last-minute-before-bed spodding exercises...
> >U dudez are so last century. I got me a state of the art wifi laptop
>
> Doesn't help with the desire to have a Mac, a Sun, a GameOS machine,
> an up-alla-time Linux server, a decent monitor and keyboard, etc.
>
> A laptop's a lousy way to buy computing capability that you _don't_
> want to carry around - everything's more expensive and slower.

I agree,

for me the little buzz of being able to code anywhere though, is only surpassed
my having a zaurus ;-) (which still hasnt arrived on my doorstep might it add)

most of the 3.2Ghz laptops you see these days still behave like pII 400s imho.
ive even seen a couple of centrinos that underclock to 1Ghz from 3.2Ghz when
under battery (no matter the battery level).

still cant beat my toshiba :-) and my mums old toughbook is kinda cool,

but, if you want power or reliability, and want your investment to last, either
get a brand new toughbook or a big chunky emp proof server :-)

Ian

> --
> David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
> --

/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
 */
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk