[Gllug] ADSL modem -- WTF?

Russell G. Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 20:26:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 01:07:52PM +0100, Ian Norton wrote:
> does this work by your provider running ethernet over atm, or is there
> no normal pppoatm involved?
>
> who is this mythical pppoe provider :-)?

Well I'm using Nildram, but I expect that the equipment running the
PPPoE is BT's. I'm in NW4, and maybe only some exchanges have equipment
capable/configured to do PPPoE.

Anyway, since Nildram's blanket MTU setting of 1500 does not work at all
well with PPPoE, calling them a PPPoE provider would be stretching it -
PPPoE just happens to work, sort of.

Whether it's PPPoEoA or something I don't really care - fact of the
matter is that I'm talking PPPoE to a box which thinks the MTU of the
PPPoE link is 1500 and refuses to change that assumption (yes, I tried
sending an MRU of 1492 in the PPP negotiation). This means that PMTUD is
broken, and remote hosts are not told of the need to fragment packets.

Nildram's response is basically "We don't support PPPoE - if it works
for you, you're on your own. If it doesn't work, we're not going to fix
it"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk