[Gllug] re: dual Xeon/Opteron server

Tushar Joshi tjoshi at lonix.org.uk
Thu Jul 29 10:00:20 UTC 2004

The 3ware 9xxx cards are a bit of a pain since there is no
internel kernel driver for this card, only a module. Means
you'll have to use initrd if you want to boot from it.
Or use 2.6.8-rc2 which now has the driver built in. However
you'll then need to make your own boot disk to install
your distribution.

Tushar

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:46:11AM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 09:37, t.clarke wrote:
> > Call me a philistine if you will, but if I were building a high performance
> > dual-processor server I would want to use the latest SCSI discs and controller
> > technology for both speed and reliability.
> >
> > Using serial ATA discs on a high spec machine, IMHO, would seem to be spoiling
> > the shi[p for a ha'porth of tar !
>
> Decent SATA RAID controllers can match and even exceed sustained
> throughputs compared to similar priced SCSI controllers. I recommend
> 3ware 9xxx cards.
>
> --
> Martin A. Brooks <martin at clues.ltd.uk>
> Clues Ltd
>
> --

|                 Turtle Networks Ltd.                 |
|  Unit 48, Concord Road, London W3 0TH                |
|  Tel: (020) 8896 2600     |  Fax: (020) 8992 7017    |
|  www.turtle.net           |  tjoshi at turtle.net       |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk