[Gllug] Two Queries

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Sun Jul 4 15:45:41 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 03:42:37PM +0100, anth wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 15:55:36 +0100, Ian Norton <bredroll at darkspace.org.uk> wrote:
> > If a linux distro ever needs some software to remove spyware like gator
> > or alexa from gpl programs then I will eat my own liver, while naked, live
> > on tv, while singing 're light my fire' and riding a unicycle.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the next few years a linux
> distro is released with built in spyware. I doubt that the company
> that does it will be around for very long though.
>
> Also, just because theres no need of a piece of software doesn't mean
> that it isn't available:
> http://www.linspire.com/products_virussafe_whatis.php
> Anti virus software for linux is useful on box that is acting as an
> email or file server for Windows clients of course, but that isn't
> what the above product is being advertised for.

hetrogenous platforms for virus removal are always a good idea, i used to use
MiNT on my atari falcon to clean disks of the old TOS floppy disk viriuses that
once spread around the PD libararies of the world.

indeed my own main server daily scans its disks with antivir for win32 viruses
etc.

i doubt though that we will ever suffer such silly things evolution email
viruses that install spyware or have our mozilla homepages or entry bars
hijacked by 888.com :-)

Ian

> --

/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
 */
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk