[Gllug] GPL

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 13:17:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 01:15:16PM +0100, Martyn Drake wrote:
> Jason Clifford wrote on 21 July 2004 12:42:
>
> > Firstly you need to understand that copyright in an original work
> > exists the moment that the work is created. Providing a "copyright
> > notice" is not necessary. This is under English law however it holds
> > true for most legal jurisdictions too.
>
> Indeed, as I found out about a year ago.
>
> I was somewhat surprised to find that a London-based ISP had decided to take
> a photo that was originally on our online photo gallery and had used it for
> the background of an advert running in various Future Publishing and EMAP
> publications without seeking permission or giving any kind of notification
> beforehand.  The photos did not have any kind of watermarking or copyright
> symbol on them, and thus they thought they could use them.  They had
> reversed the image, but it was clearly identifiable as belonging to us.

I had something in a similar vein happen to me 2 weeks ago. I was surprised
when my girlfriend passed me "The Metro" (london's tube rag) and told me
we were in it. I went to the page and saw a 2 1/2 inch picture of us kissing
(just us, from the waist up, no background other than to tell we were on an
escalator on the tube).

I wrote to the Metro to complain but got no response. I'm considering forwarding
this to the PCC as I believe they intruded on a private moment (albeit in a
public place).

I recall lawyers going nuts on this list when someone badmouthed them! Any
opinions on my situation?

Cheers,

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk