[Gllug] FW: Windows share using SMB doesn't write

Weston, Toby (ELS) T.Weston at elsevier.com
Mon Jul 5 10:25:25 UTC 2004

gllug-bounces at gllug.org.uk wrote:
>> I have XP Pro, do you know why I can write as root though and not as
>> anyone else? I'd like to have my normal user use the share properly.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> Hello,
>
> The root only problem is with the way you are mounting the volume,
> nothing to do with the “server” side (windows)
>
> Try mounting the volume with this command as root
>
> mount -t smbfs -o
> username=username/DOMAIN,password=foobar,fmask=777,dmask=777
> //machinename/sharename /path/to/mount
>
> The fmask and dmask values should allow non-root users to write to the
> share
>
> You said this is a home PC so the /DOMAIN part may not be needed.
>
> HTH
>
> SM
> (Apologies for the retarded quoting style)
>
> --------------------------

Excellent, thanks for that... I'll give it a go when I get home :)

As it goes, the guide I used said to point to a credentials file, so my
fstab entry looks something like this

//host/documents  /mnt/docs  smbfs  credentials=/etc/samba/crw,uid=toby

and in the crw file;

username=toby
password=

No password as my windows machine doesn't have one for toby.

Cheers again,
Toby
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk