[Gllug] re: software dowloads patent

Ray Miller raym at herald.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 18 09:33:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 12:57:24AM +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:

> As a starter, could the GLLUG, UKUUG, and ... activists get
> together and formulate a UK policy?  It only takes a few
> phone calls or e-mails.  Then a press announcement.  Then
> something from Number 10, ...  Then something from Brussels!

I did consider trying to push for greater UKUUG involvement in the
campaign against software patents, but FFII (<http://www.ffii.org/>,
<http://www.ffii.org.uk/>) are doing such an excellent job I think
it's best to support their efforts rather than trying to do our own
thing.  They are organizing a much better campaign than UKUUG is
capable of doing on its own.

I think our best contribution is in letting our members know about the
FFII campaign and encouraging them to take part in that.  To this end,
I asked one of their activists to write an article for us, which
appeared in the UKUUG December 2003 newsletter.

What else should we be doing?

--
Ray Miller, UKUUG - the UK's Unix and Open Systems User Group
http://www.ukuug.org/