Was [Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Jun 9 09:41:46 UTC 2004

"Henrik Morsing" writes:

>But this aside the two protocols are very different and SCSI is a lot more
>efficient than ATA. We've had fight here before over this so I won't
>comment any more on this :-)

Are they? My understanding was that they were very similar, to the point
where ATA/SATA wer effectively a subset of the SCSI protocol, just over
a different physical medium. That subset is getting more complete over
time, but still AFAIK lacks some of the features that make SCSI a generally
better choice for a disk I/O bound machine.

Alan Cox said on the subject:

	SATA and especially SATA2 is basically SCSI with some slightly odd
	ways of issuing READ10/WRITE10 to disk devices.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk