[Gllug] re: software dowloads patent

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jun 16 09:55:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:53:09AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:35:58AM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> > I just looked at the register article.
> >
> > I must admit I fail to see how the simple act of downloading an executable
> > file from a web site onto one's hard disc could be patentable.
> >
> > Anyone have any futher info on the actual scope of these patents ??
>
> http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=1087319985&area=news

Earliest patent filed in May '94, which means there's likely to be a
lot of prior art from, eg., Unix distribution.

However, none of that matters unless you happen to have $2m lying
around to challenge the patent in court.

Rich.

NET::FTPSERVER is a full-featured, secure, configurable, database-backed
FTP server written in Perl: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/netftpserver/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk