[Gllug] /etc/hosts caching

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 22:30:28 UTC 2004

Doug Winter wrote:
> On Wed 02 Jun Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>
>>Microsoft implementations notwithstanding, negative caching is a Good
>>Thing[tm], of course.
>

> Only when done properly, which is more difficult than it looks.
>
> "your nameserver didn't respond in time therefore i'm going to pretend
> google doesn't exist until i've been rebooted" is not useful :)

Indeed. But doing it properly isn't that hard surely? On receipt of an
NXDOMAIN, cache that for the length of its TTL (the domain negative
caching TTL, often set quite low in non TLDs). On receipt of no answer
at all or a SERVFAIL, don't cache.

Caching any DNS response and ignoring the TTL is horribly broken.
Windows isn't the only culprit here, I've seen web browsers including
Nutscrape running on Linux do it.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk