[Gllug] An article for you from an Economist.com reader.

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Jun 23 14:10:15 UTC 2004

Amias Channer writes:

>I belive if you want to use oracle on redhat you are locked to certain
>distro versions and possibly even kernel version

That's a restriction put in place by Oracle, not Red Hat. But Oracle
will still quite happily support you if you want to switch to SuSE.
No lock in there.

>also if you want to deploy perl applications on a production system
>you can only use the modules that they have rpm'ed or risk having to
>fight rpm with cpan and make your system hard to audit or re-create.

No, not at all. You can use perl all you want. If you want Red Hat to
support you, though, it's reasonable for them to mandate that you stick
to their approved packages. If you want to use something that they don't
provide then fine... just don't expect them to support you. Still no
trace of lock in.

>This is not an anti redhat rant , i've used their distros for a long
>time (and am using 2 of them here) , in fact long enough to feel 'locked
>in' to their versions of various tools and to not want to use other
>distros so i don't have to re-learn stuff .

Indeed. I feel more comfortable on RH/Fedora than on other distributions
simply because that's what I'm used to. But the differences between them
are pretty negligible at the end of the day, and if I had to switch, there
would be little I needed to do differently, and certainly no lock in, like
there would be with Microsoft.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk