[Gllug] Introduction (not really relevant to anything, just saying hello)

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 11:50:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Nix wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Russell Howe stipulated:
> > On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 04:54:49PM +0100, Tethys wrote:
> >>
> >> Ah... someone that does audio with Linux! Just out of interest, what's
> >> the current approved method of multiplexing sound on a Linux system?
> >
> > If you use ALSA, then there's a little thing called dmix, which will
> > multiplex sound streams at the ALSA PCM level.
>
> ALSA's all very well, but I use esd's network sound capabilities too.
> ALSA doesn't seem to be able to do this: esd can *use* ALSA, but that
> means I'm still compiling apps to use esd, and losing most of ALSA's
> advantages.
>
> Is there a way for me to use ALSA yet keep the network-transparency of
> esd? (Obviously I don't care about latency very much if I'm playing
> sound over the network!)

	Why do we need all these different standards anyway if we could
have one method it would be so much nicer..... (And easier to understand)
	I use nasd but unforunally half my programs use some other method
and hence no sound.
	What I think is some way to connect allow program that thinks
sound is created using method X to sound system using method Y. for all
available methods X and Y.

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk