[Gllug] Piece on Linux on BBC News24 this afternoon.

Murray gllug at minty.org
Sun Jun 13 13:59:25 UTC 2004

> Not linked to from the News24 site, which is where I have always caught Click
> Online, so thank you for pointing it out to me.

Thing is, with the amount of content the bbc put out [1], you aren't
likely to find most of it linked from any where useful.

Which, if you'll excuse a self interested rant, is one reason they put a
fair chunk of effort into the search offering ...

http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?scope=newsukfs&tab=news&q=click+online

This is much the same as the previous link - only if you are doing it
from within news.bbc you can also search across pretty much all the
audio/video content that BBC News/Sport has ever put online (excluding
the broadband stuff like the 1/6/10 O'Clock progs).  See the box on the
right of the page.   It's far from perfect, or is at least a little
quirky, as the above link demonstrates quite well.  Still, it is quite a
neat tool/resource.

http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?q=linux&scope=newsifs_av&tab=news_av

-----

[1] ~2 million pages on www.bbc + god knows how much on news.bbc + all
the audio/visual stuff + the dynamic stuff like (event/tv) listings and
message boards.

fwiw, Google has just over 1 million bbc pages in it's web index, and
probably virtually none of the AV stuff.

And the news stuff should appear in the search results almost as soon as
they are published.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk