[Gllug] [OT?] Please sign my Google petition ...

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jun 8 08:50:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:13:52PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> Well, I think I would agree with your arguments.
>
> Just to say that I'm not advocating that Google drop access to sites
> which aren't XHTML valid.  Just that they update their algorithms to
> slightly bias towards valid sites.  In other words if there are two
> sites, equal in all other respects, then the XHTML-valid site should
> win.  They should do this because the XHTML-valid site is more likely
> to be useful for their users, because it is more likely to render in
> whatever device they are using the access the Internet.  This is not a
> proposal to drop invalid sites from the index.

Actually if you think about it they probably already do favour
not only clean XHTML sites, but those which make good use of CSS.
All those sites which use fancy JavaScript for generating HTML
in the fly, use tables heavily, use <h3> for top level headings,
etc, etc probably already score pretty badly merely for the rason
its next to impossible for an automatic indexer to extract useful
information from them.

Dan.