[Gllug] migrating install to larger hd

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 14:46:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 03:37:54PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 03:25:14PM +0100, Ben wrote:
> >
> > It's a one disk system. It's my pvr. Hence disk greedy but only room for
> > one hd.
>
> So it /is/ urgent, then, that you replace one disk with the other.  In
> that case, are you using Grub as a boot loader?  If you know your way
> around Grub then it is quite easy, from the current set-up, to configure
> the new disk so that it will boot properly once it is in place as the
> sole disk on the system.  Having a grub boot floppy on hand is also
> useful insurance.

Hmmm, maybe you're right - this is +urgent+ ;-)

I do know grub. I like it too but I'm on slack and lilo rules the roost.
here! I don't think that's a problem as I have another box.

I'm gonna plug the old hd + the new on into the other box then sort out
lvm + copy files across, then I can test booting and alter lilo.conf
through a boot-disk if required (though I shouldn't need to as I plan
to keep the partitioning the same).

Thanks,

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk