[Gllug] Job: Network Administration and Support Officer

rpm at cafod.org.uk rpm at cafod.org.uk
Thu Jun 17 19:39:43 UTC 2004

Do you want to have the satisfaction of working for one of the UK's
leading relief and development agencies and help us to make a real
difference in the lives of the world's poorest community?

CAFOD needs an IT professional to manage our email system; to provide
support for our regional office networks across England and Wales; to
help maintain network security; and to develop and schedule essential
network maintenance tasks, where possible introducing automated systems.

The ideal candidate will have a thorough knowledge of email and web
technologies and protocols, network infrastructure and security, and
experience of installing and supporting Windows software. Familiarity
with Linux and either PERL or PHP would be desirable.

This job would suit someone with experience in a mixed Windows/Linux
network environment.  While Linux use in our HQ office is limited to
specific mail and network roles, it is extensively deployed in our
regional and overseas offices where it is used to provide file and
printer sharing, e-mail services and VPN capabilities.

Good Perl (and Perl on Win32) skills would also be desirable.  We
currently use Perl to automate our mail systems and to extend their
functionality.  There is scope for the use of Perl to be extended to
general network automation tasks.

Good e-mail skills are crucial.  CAFOD's e-mail systems have been built
up using a set of applications (some open source, some proprietary)
based on standard Internet protocols.  Applicants should have a good
knowledge of SMTP, POP, IMAP and related technologies, with strong
troubleshooting skills.

Salary: £26,457 p.a. with up to five annual increments of £530 to a
maximum of £29,107 p.a. (starting salary according to skills and
experience).

To obtain an application pack email jobs at cafod.org.uk or phone 020 7326
5601, quoting ref NASO. Closes 1 July 2004

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk