[Gllug] An article for you from an Economist.com reader.

Xander D Harkness gllug at harkness.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 10:57:13 UTC 2004

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:41:33 +0100
> Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Amias Channer spake:
>> >      monopolistic open source companies
>>
>> This seems to me to be a contradiction in terms. If your source is
>> freely available and modifiable, then where's your monopoly? (You
>> might have *most of the market*, but you have no monopoly lock.)
>
> So you don't use redhat in a production enviroment then ?
I am one of the UK instructors for Red Hat, today I have been talking
about system services, how to stop start and add them.  As policy we teach
how to do these things in SuSE and Debian.  I also talk about manrake and
teach how to take source RPMs and modify them for their own use.

The systems that we put in use standard protocols and there should be no
problem migrating to or from Red Hat systems.

I hope that this never changes, there are a lot of people who work here
work hard to ensure that this is true.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk