[Gllug] tiny dictionary-invoking bash script for KDE

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Fri Jun 18 13:52:38 UTC 2004

Hi all. I'm new to the list and fairly new to London. Looking forward to my first GLLUG meet!

Inspired by an article in this month's Linux Format:

For anyone who runs KDE, this might be handy. Looks up the current selected word in kdict (if installed) or else invokes konqueror on dictionary.com. Assign it to a key press (eg. Alt-D) (which on KDE3.2.3 seems to mean you have to add the script to your start menu) and I've found it exceptionally handy!

Probably it should try and figure out the correct web-browser to use, instead of assuming konqueror exists. Any better ideas for that than searching a hard-coded list of possible browser executables?

Cheers,

	Tartley

Jonathan Hartley
tartley at tartley.com